You’ve made the decision – your office or company needs a new space. Maybe you have outgrown the office, or it no longer fits your needs. Or you’re due – maybe overdue? – for an updated, more modern look and feel.
But now the question – should you renovate your existing space, or build a brand-new structure?
The answer is – that depends. It depends on your unique situation, and the reasons for wanting, or needing, the new space.
Let’s take a look at some considerations for both renovating and building new.
Consideration for Renovation:
- Does the location of your current structure still work for you?
- If you need more space, can your renovation plans accommodate the new growth that you need?
- Will your budget accommodate the plans necessary to meet your goals? Will your budget accommodate a new build?
- Can you maintain day-to-day operations while the space undergoes a renovation?
- Can your existing space accommodate electrical or plumbing updates necessary to comply with codes?
There are many benefits to building new, beyond just a brand-new space.
Benefits of Building New:
- Starting from scratch opens the door to design, spacing and floor plan options that might by limited in a renovation project.
- With a new build, you can incorporate energy and environmental efficient plans and materials that might not be an option with a renovation.
- As you design your new build, you can be assured your plans will be compliant with all current codes.
- A new build may be more cost-efficient when you factor that all costs will be upfront, and there will be fewer unforeseen costs that can happen with demolition begins.
- More sustainable options for an office building, such as modular shipping containers (visit the website to see more), can be considered provided all requirements are met and the space is sufficient.
- Consider the value. New construction tends to hold its value very well and, and it may have a stronger resale value down the road.
Weigh your options between renovation and new construction. Always consider what is best for your company now and in the future. The Prairie Construction team is ready to help you with your project, give us a call today – we are ready to help!