When you’ve made the decision to undertake a commercial construction project, whether it is a renovation or a new build, the first step is to choose a contractor that is right for you.
Working with a reputable, local contractor that shares your goals and vision for the project will produce the best outcome. Here are a few suggestions to help you choose the right commercial contractor for you and your project.
- Review their portfolio and services. Consider your project and choose a commercial contract that has proven experience in similar projects. For example, Prairie Construction has extensive experience in new school construction, making us a strong choice if your project is a new or renovated school.
- Speak to references. You can learn so much about a prospective construction partner by speaking with references and past clients. Don’t be afraid to ask references about their experience with a contractor’s project, budget, and time management.
- Prioritize quality over cost. The old advice “you get what you pay for” carries so much truth, even when it comes to commercial construction. Choosing a contractor based on their reputation, safety record, and commitment to quality service, and not because they have the lowest bid, will produce satisfaction and strong results.
- Meet the Project team. You will spend a lot of time with your construction team, especially the project manager. It’s OK to ask to meet the team so you can ensure your vision and goals align.
- Ask about their safety record. Safety is a priority on any construction project. Don’t be afraid to check the safety record before you choose a contractor.
- Choose a local contractor. Working with a local contractor with a trusted reputation, and references you can speak to, will save you time and money because they will likely choose local subcontractors for the project.
If you are planning a new commercial build or renovation project, give the Prairie Construction team a call to see if we are right partner for you.